Loremaster Alec's Pub

The Quill and Saber Tavern prides itself on excellent service, good food, cool drinks, a warm fire, hot barkeeps, and good friends. Enjoy your stay. No brawling.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Odd and Perplexing

About a month ago I visited my parents at their villa on the lake. My mother packed up a basket of victuals for me to munch once I returned home. She included a jar of crabapple jelly she made from the fruit in the tree near the entryway to the villa. She also sent along a jar for me to give to my mentor at the academy.

My mentor took a journey out of town for a while so I left the jar of jelly with the other messages and packets that had accumulated for her at the academy. I secured a note to it explaining what it was and from whence it came. My mother had also marked the jar with a simple mailing label.

Shortly after she returned to the academy, I discovered the jar of jelly sitting with my messages and other packets. The note I attached had been removed, but there was no explanation of why she returned it to me.

This was more than a fortnight ago. I have seen her on more than one occasion since then and she has not mentioned it. I have not felt comfortable asking about it.

Since her message box had been overflowing, I wondered if the jar got separated somehow. Could my message have been accidentally removed, leaving my mother's label as the only identifying mark? Could some enterprising and helpful person have then returned the jar to me not having any better idea what to do with it? As I said, I don't feel comfortable asking.

The whole incident leaves me feeling perplexed.

3 Comments:

Blogger BZ said...

That's really wierd. I don't think she'd give it back to you for no reason, or knowingly. She may have given it to you thinking you might enjoy it (regifting, in a sense, not knowing who gave it to her). Very strange.

8:13 PM  
Blogger volsfan said...

That is strange and other than mentioning I have no other advice!

9:18 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

I would inquire as to why your mentor returned the gift to you. Perhaps she was perplexed as to why it had appeared with her messages?

Oh bloody hell! I just can't write as eloquently as you, Alec!

Just ask her about it! Ask her if she realized it was a gift for her.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home