Loremaster Alec's Pub

The Quill and Saber Tavern prides itself on excellent service, good food, cool drinks, a warm fire, hot barkeeps, and good friends. Enjoy your stay. No brawling.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Adventures of Alec and Lurker: Prologue

I have a couple of humorous tales to tell. I shall begin tomorrow, but before I begin I need to say a few words of introduction about my friend Lurker. I have known Lurker for about four years now. He is a student at one of the finer academies out in the lands near the Eastern Sea. Whenever I need to visit that academy, Lurker and his fair lady, who happens to be called Lady, kindly host me.

To some who know me, Lurker may seem like an unusual choice as a friend. Whereas I tend to favor the members of the nobility who are more progressive in their views of governing the realm, Lurker is conservative in his views and supports the regime of the current king. Unlike those who burn witches and torture hedge wizards, Lurker thinks through the reasons that he favors the aristocrats who have kept the king in power. He is capable of participating in a respectful and coherent discourse when we compare our ideas about how the realm should be governed.

A few months ago we talked about the current movement to allow men to marry men and women to marry women, certainly a radical idea in some of the more isolated parts of the realm. Lurker believes that the privileges of marriage should be extended. Our point of disagreement is the mechanism for extending those privileges to be more inclusive. Lurker does not feel that a lone magistrate should be allowed to make such a determination. Instead, he posits, the members of a community should all meet in the town square and decide together that they no longer wish to exclude some people from the privileges of marriage. Obviously, I would be content with a magistrate making such a decision since I beleive that putting it into action will help townsfolk to see that their neightbors are not disrupting the current system in any significant way, that they do not need to nurture the fears that they cling to through the day and the night.

As for how Lurker and I get along despite having different ideas about governance, I think that the most important aspect of this issue is that we agree on the goal even if we envision different paths for achieving that goal.

It may not always be obvious to some folks that I could have a friend with more conservative views, especially to those folks with long experience of the rhetoric I use in the town square. All that aside, Lurker and I have a rather nice friendship. We have interesting conversations and we both enjoy downing some ale at the tavern. I feel fortunate to have both Lurker and Lady as friends.

For each of the next two days I shall tell a tale about my adventures with Lurker. Since I will relate them in the order that they took place, tomorrow I shall spin a yarn in which I am at the center of amusement. Two days from now I shall tell you a story that pokes fun at Lurker. That shall give you all, my good patrons, equal chances to laugh at both Lurker and me. Lurker already sent me a not via carrier pigeon to give me permission to share his tale.

3 Comments:

Blogger BZ said...

I have friends with whom I often disagree on matters political. A refreshing encounter is one where folks are evolved enough to "agree to disagree," respecting one another's position.

8:07 AM  
Blogger volsfan said...

I am looking forward to the stories. Share away!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Zombs said...

I feel like I should have heaving bosoms in here.

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home