Loremaster Alec's Pub

The Quill and Saber Tavern prides itself on excellent service, good food, cool drinks, a warm fire, hot barkeeps, and good friends. Enjoy your stay. No brawling.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Adventures of Alec and Lurker: Part the Second

I have the pleasure of visiting Lurker and Lady about once each new moon. On the visit that followed my midnight visions of Brooke in the wispy night shift, Lurker and Lady suggested that we visit one of the local dancing assemblies. Like the one I visited over the weekend, this dancing assembly caters to male patrons with a special interest in their other male patrons.

Actually, it was Lurker's idea to visit that establishment, an attribute that immediately marks him as different than many other men, especially other men who ascribe to his more conservative views of governance. For as long as I have know him, such distinctions have never held much import for Lurker. He has several male friends and colleagues who prefer the company of men. Even before I got to know him well, I heard stories about him accompanying other students from his academy to those special taverns and dancing assemblies. Certainly he did not feel as at ease as those he accompanied, but he deserves many kudos for willingly putting himself in an environment in which he was the aberration.

Lurker also takes his responsibilites as a host rather seriously. On the night that we attended the dancing assembly, he attempted to introduce me to other young gentlemen in attendance. I was happy for the attention, but in a few instances I wished for a little more consultation. I realize that I am not the perfect pageboy in appearance, but that does not mean that I will settle for just any tinker that comes along. Lurker's "taste" in some of my potential companions made me wonder if some men who like women really cannot recognize the difference between those men who are beautiful and those who are not.

Lurker does not care much for dancing, so he stayed off the floor and drank an ale while Lady and I danced. When we rendezvoused with Lurker later, he told us that hhe had been chatting with the barkeep.

"You prefer the company of women, don't you?" the barkeep asked.

"Uh, yeah. How could you tell?"

"The way you walk."

The barkeep then purchased Lurker an ale. Lurker attempted to return the favor later in the evening, but the barkeep explained that he was not permitted to drink ale while working.

We stayed until the master of ceremonies announced that the dancing assembly was preparing to close for the evening. The barkeep informed Lurker that he could purchase him that drink now.

I was quite amused when I found out about all this. Lady and I had to explain to Lurker that the barkeep was not simply being friendly to a new patron. He thought that Lurker was just confused about prefering the company of women. He wanted to impress Lurker (or at least get him further inebriated) and introduce him to the pleasures of men. I was more surprised and entertained that Lurker did not realize why the barkeep was being especially frendly.

I cannot fault the barkeep. Lurker is a very attractive man. I believe that the barkeep would have had a better idea about the circumstances if he had seen Lurker and Lady together since she is a beautiful woman and they obviously belong together. The barkeep just did not have enough context to realize the situation.

I informed Lurker that if he desires to continue making introductions for me then next time he needs to begin with the barkeep! He was a nice looking lad. He may not be right for Lurker, but it might have been nice to find out if he was right for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger volsfan said...

Alec, I am amazed at some of the guys my straight friends try to set me up with and it has to all be dealt with laughter. I have a straight female friend (you would think she would know)that has tried 3 times for a blind date and I truly believe that she thinks all gay men are attracted to each other (just because they are gay)!

6:26 PM  
Blogger BZ said...

AWH that sucks! I frequent the assemblies that cater primarily to women who enjoy the company of other women, in support of my sister. We have a ball. Sometimes I wear my t-shirt that says, "Tastes Like Chicken". :-) I'm such a trouble maker. I have to say that women are often much more forward than men. On several occasions I've been offered remuneration for a glimpse of the DDs. The only time men have done that is while drunk at something similar to a keg party.

8:10 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

LOL @ Lurker!

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home