Loremaster Alec's Pub

The Quill and Saber Tavern prides itself on excellent service, good food, cool drinks, a warm fire, hot barkeeps, and good friends. Enjoy your stay. No brawling.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

A Quick Missive

I only have one sibling, a younger brother. He lives far away, in the wooded lands in the northeastern part of the realm. He works as a gaoler and shares a garret with a young woman who arranges hair. He was unable to visit the rest of the family during the holidays as he had to watch over the gaol.

I do not have much contact with my brother. We see each other each year for the holidays. We do not exchange letters throughout the year. We have never been close even though we grew up in the same house.

My mother revealed to me that my brother never sends gifts when they celebrate the days of their birth or commemorate their marriage. That does not bother her since she knows that he does not have many gold pieces. She was upset, however, that he does not at least send a message or otherwise get in touch. Those days just pass with no word from him.

My father will celebrate the anniversary of his birth on Saturday. Earlier this week I composed a quick missive and dispatched it to my brother to remind him of these important dates, suggesting that he remember to send an illuminated parchment with good wishes.

I do not think that I took an inappropriate approach, though I wonder how he will react considering that we do not usually have much contact. When we both still lived with our parents, he often thought that I was the favored child. Now that he is approaching thirty years of age, will he be able to take my message as a friendly suggestion rather than some sort of posturing to set myself up as the "good son" in comparison to his poor example.

3 Comments:

Blogger volsfan said...

I would have done the same thing as you but I don't know how he will respond. Wish I had more advice.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, not sure either.

The first question he might have is "why would you send it in the first place?"

Does he know that you know he doesn't acknowledge the events?

Am I making sense?

9:54 AM  
Blogger BZ said...

He'll get over it. You did the right thing. I would have done the same.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home