Loremaster Alec's Pub

The Quill and Saber Tavern prides itself on excellent service, good food, cool drinks, a warm fire, hot barkeeps, and good friends. Enjoy your stay. No brawling.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Bruises

I mentioned a week ago that I let a local apothecary draw my blood to test for certain kinds of diseases. I have fears of both needles and blood (especialy my own) so I looked away during the process. I barely felt it at all.

A bruise appeared a few days later. It is still evident on my arm, right at the elbow. It extends about four inches (though I have know many guys who would claim it to be six and a half inches) and it is a mottled red surrounded by ugly yellow splotches.

I have a friend who works as a healer in one of the local hostels. I showed him my arm and asked if I needed to be concerned. He assured me that bruising is often a normal part of drawing blood, though he also noted that the apothecary did a really poor job to have caused such an extensive mark.

Fortunately it is not painful.

7 Comments:

Blogger Seana said...

My bruise from the other week is still there. Of course, in my case it was my fault for moving around in the chair when I was supposed to keep my arm still. Oops.

5:09 PM  
Blogger volsfan said...

I wish I had taken a pic of my arm when I had my hernia surgery. The nurse couldn't find a vein for my IV and my entire arm was bruised for like 2 weeks. I looked like someone had beaten the hell outta me.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have really, really good veins for drawing blood, and I still get a little bit of a bruise.

9:52 AM  
Blogger BZ said...

I have a giant vein in my right arm that phlebotomists looove. Every once in a while, I get an inexperienced one who has a hard time getting the flow right the first time. I end up with a pretty nasty bruise in the same spot from time to time. It looks gross, but nothing with which to be concerned.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Sorry about your bruise.

1:22 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

I hate needles! *shiver*

1:00 PM  
Blogger Schnookie said...

It's a hit 'n miss when I have to give blood. Sometimes it works out great and there is no bruising. Sometimes, major bruising.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home