Loremaster Alec's Pub

The Quill and Saber Tavern prides itself on excellent service, good food, cool drinks, a warm fire, hot barkeeps, and good friends. Enjoy your stay. No brawling.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Another Delicacy

Yesterday I extolled the virtues of a good black tea. Today I would like to speak of the virtues of a delicacy known as the calzone.

Imagine a shell made of dough, cooked to a nice golden hue, stuffed with deliciously melted cheese, green peppers, mushrooms, onions, ham, and a special sausage called pepperoni, all with a cup of tomato sauce for dipping each bite as you munch away. At first the tomato sauce seems to be the dominant flavor, then the melted cheese seems to overwhelm everything else. As you slowly savor this treat you can pick out the flavor and texture of each meat and vegetable, all grounded by the not-quite-crispy yet not-too-chewy dough that encases the fillings.

I ate one of these delicious treats when I joined a friend for lunch at a local tavern earlier this week. I dreamed of the calzone last night. I continue to crave it today.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bravie said...

Michelle loves calzones. I don't care for them too much. I either want very doughy dough or very crisp dough and i can't seem to find them without mushrooms. But it's mostly the dough that I don't care for.

7:46 PM  
Blogger volsfan said...

OMG! I lvoe calzone! Anything with dough, cheese, meat and tomato sauce is a meal made in heaven for me.

9:48 PM  
Blogger ~Nutz said...

Mmmm! I get mine with ham in it. Now I want one too!

We should put that on the tavern menu!

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love me some Calzones!!!

There is a place in the neighborhood I grew up in that makes the best damn calzones I've ever had. In fact, that's the only place I get them from.

And I can usually make them last for two meals.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Seana said...

Oh those things are so yummy.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home